Magyar szervezetek az Egyesũlt Államokban
American-Hungarian Chamber of Commerce
The American-Hungarian Chamber of commerce is a nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporation as defined in Section 501 (c) (6) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The mission of the Chamber is to serve as the premier vehicle for business networking and information exchange within the American-Hungarian business community in California.
President: Gyula Kangiszer
Hungarian-International Social Club
6445 West Cavedale Drive, Pheonix, AZ 85083
President: Philip Gearard
Hungarian Members: 50-150 people
Hungarian Catholic Mission
President: Éva Pápai
302 Portola Road
Portola Valley, CA 94028
History: The first California Hussar Regiment was founded in may 2000 by Ferenc Bakonyi, Péter Vadász and Roy Bigge in Los Gatos, CA. The idea came about after a visit to Hungary where Ferenc, Peter and Roy were welcomed like family to the small town of Kiskunhalas. Having been invited to take part in a military parade organized by the Hussar Banderium of Kiskunhalas, to proudly represent the United States, Ferenc and Peter dressed as Union Cavalry Officiers and Roy dressed as Sitting Bull.
The generosity of their gracious hosts in Kiskunhalas and their sincere appreciation for the culture and the hussar traditions in European History prompted them to form the first California Hussar Regiment.
President: Frank Bakonyi
Eszterlánc Hungarian Folk Ensamble
History: The Eszterlánc Hungarian Folk Ensemble has been celebrating and showcasing Hungarian folk culture in the Bay Area since 1977 through presentations to the Hungarian community and the general public.
The Ensemble consists of twelve to twenty young adults ranging from age 14 and up. Most are of Hungarian heritage, although membership has never been limited to those with Hungarian backgrounds. The dancers receive their training in the Ensemble as well as from guest teachers and at workshops statewide.
The community served by Eszterlánc is vast, as appearances include international festivals, social events, patriotic holidays, and ethnic events. The Hungarian community alone, the group's most supportive audience, numbers in the tens of thousands in California. Recently, the group has toured to Los Angeles, Sacramento, and even as far as Vancouver, B.C.
P.O. Box 4793 Foster City, California 94404
Hungarian Members: 12-20 people
President: Vikoria Szabó
Hungarian Club at UCLA
History: The Hungarian Club at UCLA is an organization whose purpose is to spread Hungarian language, culture, and history among the UCLA community. Our mailing list includes over 150 members, and our planned weekly activities are generally attended by an average of 10-20 participants. All of our meetings are conducted primarily in English; however, those who wish to improve their language skills also have the opportunity to interact with the many native Hungarian speakers counted among our membership.
Modern-day Hungary is a small country, roughly the size of Indiana, and throughout the world there are about ten million Hungarian speakers. Although the number of native Hungarians is relatively small, Hungarian language and culture remains strong, even in Southern California. Our club often plans activities with the small, vibrant and close-knit Hungarian community in Los Angeles that includes many prominent filmmakers, professors, actors, and writers. The greater Hungarian community allows our club to participate in activities outside of UCLA’s borders, including film festivals, restaurant outings, and events at other Hungarian cultural centers in the area. However, most of our activities will be conducted at UCLA and include lectures, film watching, poetry recitation, and cooking lessons.
Hungarian members: 150 people
President: Aliz Raksi
Hungarian Freedom Fighters Federation
President: András Rékay
Hungarian Heritage Foundation
History: Hungarian refugees arrived in the SF bay area in great numbers after the Hungarian Revolution and Freedom Fight in 1956, and swelled the number of Hungarians already living here. Soon they began to organize and eventually bought a property to serve as a Hungarian House in San Francisco, in 1969.
As Hungarian-Americans dispersed around the Bay Area, leaders of the Hungarian House decided in 1991 to sell the Geary Street property, which needed major renovations and a seismic retrofit. With the sale of the property the Magyar Jövo Alap (Hungarian Future Fund) committee was formed from Hungarian House leaders and representatives of several other Hungarian organizations, to promote Hungarian cultural activities until a new center could be established. Over the years other Bay Area Hungarian groups* joined or worked with the Jövo Alap to keep our heritage alive for us and our children. The Jövo Alap has now inspired the creation of the Hungarian Heritage Foundation of the San Francisco Bay Area.
A non-profit organization was established and formally registered in California, in March 2009.
PO Box 5383, Redwood City, CA 94063-0383
President: Victoria K. Szabó-Lengyel
Hungarian Scout Troops 8. & 49.
Hungarian Members: 30-40 people
President: Erzsébet Trachtenberg
Hungarian Scout Troops 43. & 77.
302 Portola Road, Portola Valley, CA 94028
President: Dia Némethy
San Diego house of Hungary
Balboa Park, 2159 Pan American Plaza, San Diego, CA 92101
The House of Hungary is a member of the House of Pacific Relations International Cottages and one of the 28 international cottages in Balboa Park, San Diego. The houses were built during the 1936 San Diego Exposition for the different ethnic groups to show their traditions, customs, and history. The project was so successful that the City of San Diego decided to donate them permanently to the ethnic groups in order to keep them open for the public. There was a temporary interruption during WWII, when the Naval Hospital used the buildings, but after the war, the City returned them to the different nationalities. House of Hungary became an official member of the HPR in 1948. Our cottage is open to the public every Sunday afternoon, with a hostess offering homemade pastries, coffee and other refreshments to the visitors. Our language school is conducted by professional Hungarian-born teachers and is open to all interested individuals. At the beginning we shared one cottage with the Czechoslovakian
s, but we had always hoped to have our own. In 1980 the Building Fund Committee was established at Gabor Tatrai’s suggestion. It took 15 years of hard work and dedication - in large part successful food fairs and Gabor Tatrai’s idea of the annual Gala Balls - until we were able to save enough money to start building our own cottage. In 1989 the Building Committee was established. Although the House of Hungary was built from the donations of our members and the savings through many years, it is the property of the City of San Diego, and as a non-profit organization we are under the direction and by-laws of the City and the HPR. Our house, like the other cottages, delegates two representatives to the HPR parliamentary meetings held once a month. We elect every November our President and the Board of Directors, all members over the age of 18 have the privilege to vote.
President: Dr. Zoltán Gidófalvi
United Magyar House Los Angeles
The president of the United Magyar House Miklos Perehazy is introducing the organization with the title: "Walking new Path" and acknowledging that the United Magyar House strengthened a great reputation and that the organization gained a deserved acknowledgement in Los Angeles. Today the United Magyar House is hosting our National Holydays. The United Magyar House's major agenda is to promote and cherish the Hungarian culture, language and tradition, further to unite the Hungarians living in Los Angeles.
Finally the president and the directors of board are pronouncing their great gratitude to the founders of the United Magyar House as well as the Hungarians living in Los Angeles, being involved in caring and supporting the organization and continuing the tradition.
1975 West Washington Blvd.
President: Miklós Pereházy
Hungarian Club of Colorado
9796 Hooker Court. Westminster Colorado 80031
Hungarian members: 300 people
President: Attila Weiser
Hungarian Community Club of Wallingford
The Hungarian Community Hall, home of the Hungarian Community Club of Wallingford, opened its door in 1918, and it was to become an important center for the Magyar population of Central Connecticut for decades, subsequently.
The Hall had been built by first generation Hungarians; many hard working people- men and women- had contributed their hard earned money towards the funds needed for the completion of the House.
By 1941, the mortgage was fully paid up, and the Hungarian House of Wallingford has been debt-free ever since. The entrance of the Hall was reconstructed and a new stage was added in 1950. Activities were numerous and well-attended success of the Wallingford facility reached its zenith in the late 50’s and early sixties; there were occasions when the House could not accommodate all of the prospective attendees, so, at times, a number of them had to be turned away at the door.
Attendance at functions at the Community Hall started to decline in the 1970’s A number of factors, including Hungarians moving away from the vicinity of the Hall, significantly
changing demographics and a noticeable ebbing of interest had contributed to the this process. Consideration of sale of the building first surfaced in the late 70’s; however, a sudden resurgence of interest and enthusiasm saved the Club from going “under”, at that time..
Unfortunately, years of frequently treacherous struggle for survival, with unmistakable signs of disillusionment followed. It had become increasingly and painfully evident that only a handful of members were willing to participate in the “work” needed for the preparation of the Club’s functions and for the upkeep of the House. These few people (and they were always the same ones) were becoming tired, bitter and resentful and had shown signs of being “drained, physically and emotionally, alike. Meetings of the Executive Board and Membership had regularly centered on the prospects of sale of the House. In November of 2006, the apparently inevitable decision was made to sell the building.
President: Ákos Horváh
Hungarian Cultural Society of Connecticut
The Hungarian Cultural Society of Connecticut (HCSC) was established in 1988 as the successor of the original “Hungarian Reading Circle” of Wallingford, CT. HCSC’s mission at the beginning was essentially local and focused on providing first and second generation Hungarian Americans monthly opportunities to experience their rich ancestral heritage, through music, literature, drama and poetry. In the 90’s, however, as evidence of their more comfortable economic status, HCSC members expressed an interest to support selected Hungarian cultural and educational institutions servicing some of the 2 million strong ethnic Hungarian minority populations established for centuries in the Transylvania region of Rumania and Trans-Carpathian Ukraine. Fall annual gala dinners organized by HCSC are this organization’s sole fundraising vehicles. Below are two particular examples of programs sponsored by HCSC.
P.O. Box 2026, Cheshire, CT 06410
Hungarian Social Club of Ashford
314 Ashford Center Rd, Ashford, CT 06278
President: Mihály Sebök
Pannonia American-Hungarian Club
The Pannonia American-Hungarian Club is a not-for-profit, tax-exempt organization, incorporated in Bridgeport CT November 17th 1950 for charitable, literary, and educational purposes. Today the Club’s main objective is to promote Hungarian culture and traditions, to bring the Hungarian-American community together, organizing regular events, involving all generations. Our annual scholarships are awarded to assist young Hungarian-Americans who are actively involved in the community.
P.O. Box 1601 Fairfield CT, 06825
President: Zsuzsanna Deer
District of Columbia
American Hungarian Federation
The American Hungarian Federation is the oldest and largest Hungarian-American umbrella organization in the United States. AHF was founded in 1906 and incorporated in 1907 in Cleveland, Ohio as a non-profit association of Hungarian Fraternal societies, institutions and churches to "defend the interest of Americans of Hungarian origin in the United States." Over the past 100 years, AHF's mission has broadened to include support of people of Hungarian descent on both sides of the Atlantic and in the successor states of the Carpathian Basin. The American Hungarian Federation strives to unite the American Hungarian community through work that supports common goals. AHF is a non-partisan, independent organization representing the interests of its member organizations and the Hungarian American community.
809 National Press Bldg. Washington D.C.
President: Frank Koszorús, Jr
Embassy of the Republic of Hungary
3910 Shoemaker Street, Northwest, Washington D.C. 20009-8
President: Dr. Réka Szemerkényi
Hungarian America Foundation
former Kossuth Club
2001 Massachusetts Ave. N.W. Washington D.C.
President: Dr. Sándor Végh
Hungarian American Coalition
Non-profit media organization
The Hungarian American Coalition is a nationwide non-profit 501(3) c organization that promotes public understanding and awareness of Hungarian American issues.
1120 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 280 Washington
President: Rev. Imre Bertalan
The Hungarian Freedom Fighters Federation
The federation was established in 1962.
PO Box 42048 Washington, DC 20015
President: Béla Harsányi-Bácskai
Hungarian Reformed Federation of America
The significant meeting for our Federation's charter in the Congress in Washington took place on February 4, 1907, in the second session of the 59th Congress. The question of the charter had been discussed three times formerly, on December 19, 1906, on January 10, 1907, and on January 11, 1907. The debate revealed why the bill proposed by South Bend Congressman Abraham Lincoln Brick had such a stormy life. The convention of the Hungarian Reformed Federation of America is not the only place where bills are sent from one committee to the other, because the same thing happened to the bill concerning the charter in the House of Representatives. Originally it was proposed to the committee managing the affairs of the District of Columbia who passed it on to the Committee on the Judiciary. James R. Mann, a representative from Chicago taking part in the charter debate, gave them a piece of his mind; it seems that if a bill is not favorably accepted by the committee it was handed in to, it simply passed
it on to another one where it will be treated on more friendly terms. However, Brick refuted this statement saying that there were other reasons for passing the bill to another committee. In any case, when it was presented to the meeting on February 4, the number of the bill was H.R.24046. The debate can be read in the appropriate volume of the Congressional Record
2001 Massachusetts Ave, NW Washington, D.C.
President: Leslie L. Megyeri
American Foundation for Hungarian Youth & Culture
1919 Princess Ct. Naples, Florida 34110-1018
President: Andrew Evva
American Hungarian Club
Non-profit social organization
Welcome to the American-Hungarian Club of the Palm Beach area. The club has been serving the Hungarian community of South Florida since 1963. Among the regular weekly activities the members can enjoy card-games every Thursday and Sunday, regular lunches/dinners held on the third Sunday of each month and occasional dinner-dance parties on special occasions, like Christmas, New Year's Eve party, Mother's Day, Father's Day etc.
Most recently we launched a program for the younger generation inviting them to party with us on the second Saturday of each month. We feature modern music, casual atmosphere, good conversation and dance.
1205 Barnett Drive, Lake Worth, FL 33461
President: János Lázár
Florida Hungarian Liberty Club
20 N Woodrow Wilson Street Plant City, FL 33563.4757
Global Friendship Foundation
Global Friendship Foundation is an organization that dedicated to develop cultural and educational programs to connect different nations to help to reach their full potential to build the better community.
P.O. Box 25074 Sarasota, FL 34277
President: Erika Klatyik
Hungarian American Club of Southwest Florida
The Hungarian American Club of S.W. Florida was started in November of 2000. By the end of 2001 the club had 58 members. The membership today is close to 250 people. The organization is governed by a board of directors that is nominated and elected by the membership at the beginning of each calendar year. The board consists of a president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer, and directors.
In order to keep the expenses to a minimum the club doesn’t have a permanent club building. Board and
committee meetings are held at member’s homes or at other public places. Club events are held at
private or public facilities like country clubs, restaurants, banquet facilities, or public parks in the
Naples/Bonita/Estero area. Locations are based on value, availability, and quality.
Many of the clubs events (i.e. dinner/dances, picnics) are social in nature. The club had entertainers
from Hungary perform at several of these events. There are also events that are in support of cultural
and/or historic awareness. An example of one such project was the implementation, fund-raising and
dedication of a statue commemorating the 50th anniversary of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution. The statue is located on the grounds of the Collier County Government Building in Naples, FL. They have also sponsored fundraisers for projects such as building a central water supply for
the village of Kero in Transylvania.
6590 Huntington Lakes Cir #104, Naples, Fl 34119
President: Frankl Dobos
Hungarian Christian Society
Non-profit social organization
165 N Jackson Rd, Venice, FL 34292
Hungarian Kossuth Hall
2230 NW 14th St, Miami, FL 33125
Hungarian members: 50 people
President: Erzsébet Kiss
Hungarian Club of Georgia
Non-profit social organization
This organization representing about 15,000 people of Hungarian descent in the state of Georgia. The club's mission is to foster appreciation of the Hungarian culture, history and language in the community. This is the club for you if you were born in Hungary or to Hungarian parents, you like to use paprika in your cooking, you are inspired by the story of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution, you have a vague recollection that your Grandmother was Hungarian, you have spent countless hours trying to master the Rubik's cube, you are concerned about the human rights of ethnic Hungarians living in Romania, Slovakia, Serbia and Ukraine.
American Hungarian Club
The Hungarian Club's founders borrowed $3,500 for materials in 1919, putting their building on two acres bought for $300.
Today, members are marking the club's 90th year with a meal, program and polka band.
Their traditions haven't changed. Thursday evenings are for men only. Sunday is family day. Membership is restricted to those of Hungarian birth or descent or those married to members.
Used to be, the close-knit German community met in homes, where men would smoke cigars and play cards. Language was a common tie in an era where they otherwise were isolated by their mother tongue.
When the gatherings got too big, the women told the men to get their own place.
1520 Calhoun St. Bloomington, IL 61701
Hungarian Club of Chicago
Founded in 1922, the Hungarian (Magyar) Club of Chicago is made up of independent entrepreneurs, professionals and corporate and government executives.
The purpose of this club is to unite men and women of Hungarian descent; to recognize distinguished achievements of men and women of Hungarian descent; to promote a knowledge of Hungarian history and culture among its members; to serve as a forum of discussion of questions of current importance and public interest; and to foster, through its meetings and its social activities, good fellowship and a continuing appreciation of the heritage of Hungary.
Over the years, the club has contributed both money and time to relief societies, disaster groups, charitable organizations, and the arts and health agencies.
23 Downing Rd. Buffalo Grove, IL 60096
President: Sándor Krémer
Hungarian Cultural Advisory Council of Chicago
President: László Varjú
Hungarian Film Club of Chicago
Independent nondenominational organization
P.O. Box 14791, Chicago, IL 60614
President: Lisa Köves
Hungarian Scout Troop Nr. 19
4422 West Bryn Mawr, Chicago IL 60646
Transylvanian Hungarian Federation of Chicago
608 Smith Ave. Lake Bluff, IL 60044
President: András Balogh
Hungarian Cultural Association of Indiana University
The Hungarian Cultural Association is a student-run organization at Indiana University. The HCA organizes programs and events for students of the Hungarian language and Hungarian Studies. Our group is comprised of both Americans and Hungarians alike, and our membership includes undergraduates, grad students, and community members.
Indiana University offers a graduate degree program in Hungarian Studies within the Department of Central Eurasian Studies (CEUS). The Russian and East European Institute (REEI) also provide credit for courses taken within CEUS. The department now also offers an undergraduate minor and is working to develop an undergraduate major.
1011 East 3th Street, Bloomington IN 47405
President: Sara Takács
Hungarian Working Men's Society Hall
2049 N 22nd Street, Terre Haute, IN 47804-3404
Árdádhon Hungarian Settlement Cultural Association
In 1976, the Bicentennial of the United States triggered a cultural awareness throughout the country, including Louisiana. In an attempt to preserve and promote the Hungarian culture of the Albany, Louisiana area, some of the local Magyar descendants established the Arpadhon Hungarian Settlement Cultural Association (AHSCA). The (AHSCA) is based in a rural ethnic community known as Hungarian Settlement. It is located in eastern Livingston Parish, Louisiana due south of a small town called Albany. This ethnic enclave, once known as Árpádhon, contains many of the descendants of the early Magyar settlers who immigrated there near the turn of the twentieth century. At the present time, residents are striving to preserve at least some of the Hungarian culture of their ancestors, though much has changed over the past hundred years since the origin of this unique community. After more than thirty years, this organization is still an integral and vibrant part of this rural community. The AHSCA sponsors
yearly events that include the Hungarian Harvest Dance, which takes place on the first Saturday of every October. Hungarian Heritage Day, an event that usually takes place in May or June, provides the community with yet another opportunity to promote the rich history and culture of the area by honoring the Hungarian descendants who are seventy-five years of age and older.
The Arpadhon Hungarian Settlement Cultural Association is located in the former Erdey-Kiss Amvets Building less than one-quarter mile south of Albany, Louisiana
29025 Louisiana 43 Albany, LA 70711
Hungarian members: 80 people
President: Wayne Kerko
Hungarian Settlement Historical Society, Hungarian Museum
29025 Louisiana 43 Albany, LA 70711
President: Alex Kropog
Hungarians of Louisiana
Cultural and educational organization
A non-profit tax exempt cultural and educational organization founded November 21, 2000 in New Orleans. The membership consists of US citizens of Hungarian ancestry, Hungarian citizens temporarily staying in the New Orleans area and others interested in Hungarian culture. The President is Stephen J. Gergatz, Vice president Julianna Bika, Treasurer Aniko Vigh and Secretary Diane Szegfu. The organization underwrites the Nyugati Hirlevel a monthly electronic newsletter. It meets quarterly at various venues.
Hungarla has sponsored the installation of a bronze plaque on Lafayette Square in New Orleans to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the visit of Lajos (Louis) Kossuth to New Orleans between March 25 and April 1, 1852. Kossuth addressed 8000 citizens on Lafayette Square in front of the City Hall now called Gallier Hall. Lafayette Square is a monument square with statues of Henry Clay, Benjamin Franklin and John McDonough. There are multiple commemorative bronze plaques on the square. The whole park is shaded by graceful southern oaks. During Mardi Gras Rex salutes the mayor of New Orleans in front of Gallier Hall.
1417 Bordeaux St. New Orleans, LA 70115
President: Stephen J. Gergatz
American Hungarian Educators Association
Contact and forum, clearinghouse for persons engaged in or interested in Hungarian studies at any level, from week-end schools to university professors, independent scholars, librarians, etc. Americans engaged in Hungarian studies as well as Hungarians and persons of Hungarian background in any discipline welcome.
4515 Willard Ave. 2210 Chevy Chase, MD 20815
President: Susan Glanz
Hungarian Association of Baltimore
1 East University Pkwy. Baltimore, MD 21218
President: Edina Kopits
Tisa Ensamble (Tisza Együttes)
4007 Rickover Road, Silver Spring, MD 20902
Hungarian Members: 10-20 people
President: Cathy Lamont
UMCP Hungarian American Association
University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
President: Gotthard Sághi-Szabó
Minnesota Hungarians was organized by Hungarian immigrants and their supporters in Minnesota over 100 years ago. Its goals have been to engage in cultural, educational and philanthropic endeavors as a non-profit and charitable association.
The Minnesota Hungarians have sponsored a wide variety of cultural and educational programs and have hosted receptions, meetings and workshops for Hungarian diplomats, dignitaries, writers and artists over the years. Minnesota Hungarians have partnered with Unity Unitarian Church, Immigration History Research Center, International Institute of Minnesota and with several other local ethnic groups and organizations.
The mission of Minnesota Hungarians is to represent and promote the Hungarian culture and heritage in Minnesota and the U.S.A.; to organize and conduct cultural, educational, artistic and recreational programs; to engage in fundraising activities in order to support humanitarian and charitable endeavors; to sponsor and promote trade and cultural exchanges between Hungary and the United States.
6650 Vernon Ave S. Edina, Minnesota 55436
President: Csilla Grauzer
Hungarian Cultural Association
Non-profit social organization
744 South 3rd Street, St Louis, Missouri 63102
President: Emma Balogh
Hungary-Missouri Educational Partnership
230 S. Bemiston, Suite 1470 Clayton, MO 63105
President: Mr. Joe Adorjan
Scout Troop Las Vegas
Las vegas-i Cserkészraj
7674 W Lake Mead Blvd #150 Las Vegas, Nevada
President: Sylvia Ferenczik
American Hungarian Citizens League
21 New Schley St. Garfield, New Jersey 07026
American Hungarian Folklore Centrum
117 John E. Busch Ave. Somerset, NJ 08873
American Hungarian Foundation
The American Hungarian Foundation presents a unique and dynamic portrayal of the cultural and historical heritage of American Hungarians. The Foundation serves as a bridge between Hungarian and American cultural traditions in an effort to enhance a better understanding of the contributions of each. As a premier institution for Hungarians in the United States, the AHF provides space and equipment for the proper display and use of the Foundation's rich and diverse archival and museum collections dealing with the history of Hungarians in America since colonial days. The AHF's main areas are: the Museum; the Library of more than 60,000 volumes, Archives; and The Museum Gift & Craft Shop. Additional space within the facility provides for meetings and small conferences, research and reading, special exhibits, and community service groups.
300 Somerset St. New Brunswick, NJ 08903
President: Prof. August J. Molnár
American Hungarian Museum
Magyar Folklór Múzeum
The AMERICAN HUNGARIAN MUSEUM, PASSAIC was established in 1982, to preserve, exhibit and cultivate Hungarian culture in one of the largest Hungarian communities in the United States. The MUSEUM specializes in the collection of memorabilia from the community, valuable folk art treasures, folk-crafts, and examples of the art.
The Museum displays exhibits either from its own collection or from private loans. A permanent showing includes examples of folk art, historical artifacts, and photographs; brought from the old country or made within the community. Special programs feature lectures, performances, video film showings and workshops.
80 Third Street, Passaic, New Jersey 07055
President: Kálmán Magyar
Mangement of Hungarian Artists
117 John E. Bush Ave. Somerset, NJ 08873
President: Kálmán Magyar
Csurdöngölo Folk Ensemble
The Csurdöngölo Folk Ensemble is rooted in the New York-New Jersey Hungarian-American community, and primarily operates in New Brunswick, NJ, which is the so called hotbed for Hungarian-Americans. The Ensemble actively exists since 1998, and has over the years evolved into one of America’s leading ethnic dance ensembles.
Throughout the years, the Ensemble has performed in locations as prestigious as The State Theater of New Brunswick and Manhattan’s Town Hall. The members seek and accept performance opportunities at various events, such as Hungarian and international folk festivals, ethnic dance events, school events and more.
The choreographies on stage are usually presented with live music played by Életfa, the best known Hungarian folk music band in U.S. Életfa treats its audiences to a high-energy, entertaining tour of Hungary’s folk music, song and dance culture. The group’s members specialize in and present the authentic, archaic folklore from the villages of present-day-Hungary, Transylvania, Slovakia and beyond, delivered in a style suitable for Western audiences.
197 Somerset St. New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Hungarian Alumni Association
Social education organization
P.O. Box 174 New Brunswick, New Jersey
President: Miklós Ruscsák
Hungarian American Athletic Club
233 Somerset Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
President: László Edward Strasz
Hungarian American Citizens Club Hungarian Manor
95 Port Reading Ave, Woodbridge, NJ 07095
President: György Puhár
Hungarian Historical Association
Magyar Történelmi Társas´g
34 Edgewood Terrace, Bridgewater NJ 08807
President: Aloysius Bauer
Hungarian Ladies' Guild of New Jersey
300 Somerset St. New Brunswick, NJ 08903
Hungarian members: 21 people
President: Margit Erdösi
Hungarian Scouts Association in Exile
Hungarian Scouting was founded in 1909. It was officially abolished in Hungary in 1948. In 1989 it was again legalized. Our organization started operating in the displaced persons camps in Germany and Austria in 1948 as the Paul Teleki Scout Association. In 1948, we renamed ourselves as the Hungarian Scout Association. In 1989, we returned the Association's original seal to Hungary and gave it to the new Hungarian Scouts Association.
In the early fifties, the DPs (Displaced Persons, refugees from the Second World War and the new Communist regimes in Eastern Europe) started immigrating to various overseas countries. Our first overseas troop was founded in 1950 in Rio de Janeiro. Our 2 troops in Caracas, Venezuela are still active. After Brazil and Venezuela, troops were founded in the USA, Canada, Australia, and other countries. The organization grew from about 1000 members in the early 50's to over 6000 members in the late seventies. Today, we are 4500 strong and have 70 troops on our rolls. Typically, we have a Boy Scout and Girl Guide troop in most cities that have substantial Hungarian populations. We are either closely affiliated or actually operate most Hungarian weekend schools around the world.
2850 Rt. 23 North, Newfoundland, NJ 07435
Hungarian members: 4000 people
President: Imre Lendvai Lintner
Linden Hungarian Club
431 Maple Ave. Linden, New Jersey 07036
Hungarian members: 70-80 people
President: Attila Micheller
Saint Stephen Hungarian School
St. Stephen R.C. Magyar Church opened its first Hungarian School in 1914. The Daughters of Divine Charity came from Hungary to the United States in October 1913. In January 1914 the sisters were already invited to St. Stephen’s to teach religion and Hungarian language to the children of the parish.
From 1933 Hungarian classes were held regularly again. Hungarian nuns – Daughters of Divine Charity – taught every Saturday from 9-3. After World War II it became a bilingual Catechism School. It ceased to exist at the end of the 1940's.
In 1953, when many new Hungarian refugees arrived from Europe the Saturday Hungarian School was started again at St. Stephens under the leadership of the Hungarian Scout movement. Most of the teachers were scout leaders.
In 1958, Fr. János Gáspár opened the doors of the St. Stephen Hungarian Weekend School, which was sponsored by the Hungarian Holy Name Society.
In 1965, under Fr. Dr. Antal Dunay a significant and unique change took place. As a result of the untiring organizational work of Dr. András Pusztai the first Daily Hungarian School in the United States was established at St. Stephens in Passaic.
In 1976, St. Stephens Parish and the Reformed Church joined forces and founded the Hungarian School of the Two Sister Churches. It operated at the Calvin Hall until the end of 1983 and then moved to the classrooms of St. Stephens School. As St. Stephen R.C. Magyar Church has become the only supporter of the school, it was renamed ST. STEPHEN HUNGARIAN SCHOOL.
223 Third St. Passaic, New Jersey 07055
President: Hajnalka Kovács
Széchenyi István Hungarian School and Kindergarten
37 Plum St. new Brunswick, New Jersey 08901
President: István Horváth
Hungarian-American Club of New Mexico
The club was founded in 1988 by four Magyars: Attila Csányi, András Bányai, Fred Griesbacher and Piroska Rohosy. The four split the Albuquerque phone book into quarters and called everyone with a Hungarian surname. Imagine their surprise when over 200 people crowded into the meeting place on March 15! Who would have thought that this sparsely populated state could yield so many people who share common roots?
For 19 years now, the Club has met regularly with the purpose of fostering Hungarian culture among those residents of New Mexico who are of Hungarian descent and others who may not be, but who are interested in the preservation of ethnic cultures which may become lost without organizational effort.
The membership now includes over 100 families and individuals of all ages. Some of whom emigrated as far back as the 1940’s, several who have only just arrived in the last few years and a number of members whose parents, grandparents or great-grandparents were the first to come to this country. The club also publishes a quarterly newsletter to help us keep in touch and to disseminate local membership news.
P.O. Box Albuquerque, New Mexico 87190
President: Anna Powless
First Hungarian Literacy Society
Non-profit social organization
Established in the winter of 1887, the Önképző Social Club opened a new chapter in the cultural life of the American Hungarian community around the New York Metropolitan Area. The FHLS is committed to reanimating the cultural and social life of our community through the sharing, practice and celebration of Hungarian history and traditions, arts and culture - in short, our heritage.
323 East 79th St. New York, NY 1001
President: Loui Ellen
Hungarian American Social Club
Non-profit social organization
660 Tonawanda St. Buffalo, New York 14207
President: Erika Szájer
Hungarian Association of Albany
P.O. Box 416 Wynantskill, New York 12198
President: Éva Várady
Hungarian Human Rights Foundation
Non-profit social organization
Since 1976, the Hungarian Human Rights Foundation (HHRF), initially Committee for Human Rights in Rumania, has monitored the human rights conditions of 2.5 million ethnic Hungarians who live as minorities in Croatia, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia and Ukraine, who collectively comprise the largest national minority in Central Europe. HHRF is the only professional organization in the West devoted to the rights of these communities.
Since the 1989 downfall of communism, HHRF has mobilized Western support for the positive initiatives and aspirations of Hungarian minority communities to rebuild civil society, to promote economic self-reliance, and to restore in the contemporary context their centuries-old traditions of educational and cultural excellence.
Relying on well-developed sources in the region, the award-winning Foundation serves as a clearinghouse of information for Western governments, human rights organizations, the media and the general public. A private, independent and not-for-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, HHRF operates from its New York headquarters and maintains offices in Budapest and Kolozsvár (Cluj), Romania, in addition to representatives around the world.
Hungarian minorities still face an uphill struggle to regain linguistic, cultural and educational rights so long denied them. The legacies of intolerance against national minorities remain, and governments have colluded with ultra-nationalistic and neo-fascist organizations which openly incite majority populations against minorities.
P.O. Box Gracie Station New York, NY 10028
President: László Hámos
Hungarian Medical Association of America
In 1968, a small group of visionary Hungarian American physicians gathered together to establish a forum for the purpose of promoting science and medicine within the common culture but bridging the two countries. Their inspiration for standards of excellence was rooted in a heritage full of examples set forth by many great physicians including:
Ignác Semmelweis - first to understand clinical necessity for sterile technique.
Albert Szent-Györgyi - Nobel Prize Laureate and discoverer of Vitamin C related biochemical pathways
Hans Selye - Nobel Prize nominee for human body stress theory
William Ganz - pioneering work with Dr. Swan on cardiopulmonary monitoring (Swan-Ganz catheter)
P.O. Box 421 Amherst, New York 14226
President: István Somkuti
Hungarian Studies Association
Non-profit educational organization
The HSA was formed in 1970 as The American Association for the Study of Hungarian History by 12 scholars: Janos Bak, George Barany, Stephen Borsody, Laszlo Deme, Tibor Halasi-Kun, Samuel Goldberger, Andrew Gyorgy, Bela Kiraly, Peter Pastor, John Rath, Steven B. Vardy, and Peter Sugar. They charged their new organization with the following mission:
To act as a forum for historians interested in Hungarian history, and to establish contacts and cooperate with the colleagues in Hungary.
By 1973 it had 74 members and was successful in organizing and sponsoring panels at the annual national conventions of the American Historical Association and the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies. This organization was never an exclusionary one, but was open to cooperation with scholar in other fields. This openness has encouraged scholars from other social sciences to join.
1550 East ninth St. New York, NY 11230
President: Paul Hanebrink
Hungarian-American Club of Rochester
The Hungarian-American Club of Rochester was founded in 1953 by newcomer families displaced in the upheaval of a war, partition and Communist takeover of our native land. Its constitution and By-Laws were chartered in the County of Monroe, State of New York. The Club’s general purpose is to preserve our cultural heritage in nonpartisan and nonsectarian manner; i.e.
1.) To promote cultural and social exchange
2.) Represent our Hungarian-American community within the society-at-large
3.) Encourage initiatives, projects, youth organizations whose aims overlap that of the Club
4.) To lend guidance to newcomers
During the ensuing decades, the Club1s basic purpose remained constant, even though our makeup has changed in many ways. Today, most of us are either American born or have lived here for over a generation and our overall assimilation into the host society has been a model success story. For this we owe gratitude to the people and ideals of this great land as well as to our industry.
515 Birr St. Rochester, New York 14613-1343
President: George Stefány
Manhattan Hungarian Network
President: Erzsebet Karkus
Meszaros International Center of Entrepreneurship
MICE was founded in 2007 and operates in partnership with the UB School of Management, University at Buffalo The State University of New York to provide instruction in ethical entrepreneurship and financial literacy to young people of diverse backgrounds.
640 Ellicott St. Suite 420, Buffalo, NY 14203
President: László Mészáros
New York Hungarian House
The building on East 82nd Street was purchased in 1966 by three not-for-profit organizations: the American Hungarian Library and Historical Society; the Szechenyi Istvan Society; and the Hungarian Catholic League of America. The third of these original co-owners was replaced by the custody of St. John Capistran (the Hungarian Franciscans) in 1989 and then by the The Hungarian Scouts' Association in Exteris in 1993.
The Hungarian House is located in a prime section of the Upper East side of Manhattan, in the heart of what used to be, and partially still is, the Hungarian neighborhood of the city. It is surrounded by ethnic stores, restaurants, businesses and five religious centers.
The building, conceived in a traditional style, shows Neo-Classical ornamentation fashionable in the late 19th century. On its three levels, it contains offices, a library and various meeting rooms. The auditorium holds close to 200 people theater style. Hungarian House is the home of several non-profit organizations, including the Hungarian boy scouts and girl scouts.
213 East 82nd Street. New York, NY 10028
President: Charles Vamossy
Széchenyi István Society
213 East 82nd Street, New York, NY 10028
President: Ákos Felsövályi
Hungarian Freedom Fighter Movement
The organization was established in 1957.
17202 Jetton Rd. Cornelius, North Carolina 28031
President: Lajos Molnár
Magyar Club of the Triangle
5109 Pine Cone Dr. Durham, NC 27707
President: Eszter Gagnon
American Hungarian Friends of Scouting
The first Hungarian scout troop in the U.S. is formed in Cleveland, Ohio in the spring of 1951. By the Fall of that year there are two boys' troops, one on the east side of the city in the Buckeye Road neighborhood and one on the west side in the Ohio City area. They also are registered troops with the Boy Scouts of America. Girls' troop forms in 1952 and splits into two troops in 1957 in the same neighborhoods. The Hungarian scouts learn all the traditional skills of scouting but also are familiarized with the history, customs and traditions of Hungary. It is a prerequisite for all members to speak Hungarian. Most also read and write in Hungarian. All meetings (on Friday nights), outings and camps are held with only the Hungarian language being spoken. Scouts 14 years old and older can join the Hungarian Scout Folk Ensemble. These scouts meet every Tuesday night and specialize in learning the dances and songs of Hungary among other crafts and skills. To help with language skills, and to learn
the geography, ethnography and history of Hungary, the Hungarian School has classes on Monday nights. Most scouts attend classes for up to 10 to 12 years.
The Cleveland troops are supported by the American Hungarian Friends of Scouting. They hold three large fundraising events a year: an awards banquet in February, a debutante benefit ball in May and a Hungarian Scout Festival on Sunday of Labor Day weekend. They also own the 130 acre Teleki Scout Park named after Pál Teleki, Prime Minister of Hungary 1920-21 and 1939-41 and the first Chief Scout of Hungary. Located in Ashtabula County in Northeast Ohio, the park has a small lake and is ideal for primitive camping.
P.O. Box 6783 Cleveland, Ohio 44101
President: Ms. Bea Tábor
Cleveland Hungarian Development Panel
The mission of the CHDP is to provide assistance and the exchange of ideas for Hungarian projects in the areas of commerce, education, health and human services.
The Cleveland Hungarian Development Panel (CHDP) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization of dedicated volunteers who recognize the need to promote and support educational and cultural ties between Americans and Hungarians.
P.O. Box 23234 Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44023
President: Elizabeth Papp Taylor
Cleveland Hungarian Heritage Society
The Cleveland Hungarian Heritage Society was established as a not-for-profit corporation under Ohio law as of September 13, 1985. It was recognized as a federally tax exempt organization on February 18, 1986. The CHHS opened its first museum at St. Elizabeth Church on April 20, 1986. This opening was welcomed by a Proclamation issued by City Council of Cleveland. Numerous civic and community leaders consented to be named to the Honorary Board of Directors of the CHHS.
The very first exhibition, entitled the Inaugural Exhibition, was held on this same date. Since that time, the CHHS has organized numerous large scale and small scale exhibitions, as well as many lectures and presentations. Significant exhibitions were the month-long exhibitions at the Cleveland Natural History Museum and at the Beck Center in Lakewood
The CHHS launched its newsletter, "THE REVIEW" in winter of 1986. The REVIEW is subtitled "The Second One Hundred Years" in recognition of the fact that significant waves of Hungarian immigration to the US took place more than 100 years ago in the 1880s. Now Hungarian-Americans are entering into a second one hundred years of settlement in the United States. In its first two years, the REVIEW was funded by Grants from the Ohio Arts Council and came out quarterly.
The CHHS opened the Hungarian Heritage Museum in the Richmond Mall on September 7, 1996.
The CHHS opened the Hungarian Heritage Museum in its new location at the Euclid Square Mall in May, 1999.
In addition to its Museum collection, the CHHS has been working to organize its significant archival and library collections.
P.O. Box 24134 Cleveland, Ohio 44124
President: Mr. László Varga
Csárdás Dance Company
Founder, Richard Graber along with Artistic Director, Christopher Smith, integrated the dances, costumes, music and culture of the Hungarian people into Csárdás Dance Company from 1994 - 2005. Upon their relocation to Texas in 2005, Csárdás has been maintained by Toni Gras, Managing Director, Stuart Meyer, Main Rehearsal Instructor and Judith Horvath, Assistant Rehearsal Instructor. Richard Graber travels to Cleveland periodically to set new choreographies and works on the Youth Ensemble.
P.O. Box 391147 Cleveland, Ohio 44139
President: Roni Gras
Hungarian American Club
Non-profit social organization
694 E. Waterloo Rd Akron, Ohio 44306
President: Irene Beebe
Non-profit cultural organization
The Hungarian Association is a cultural organization sponsoring an annual Congress providing a forum for the discussion of issues impacting Hungarian Americans and offering educational, literary, artistic and informative lectures by members of the North American Hungarian Community. The Hungarian Association supports the publication of an annual book, the Kronika, collecting together presentations given at the Hungarian Congress as well as other articles of interest. It also recognizes members of the Hungarian North American community who either did outstanding volunteer work or deserves recognition for their work as authors, artists or scientists. The Association reaches out to the Hungarian North American Community with sponsorships and other activities in pursuit of its cultural mission.
P.O. box 771066, Lakewood, OH 44107
President: Dr. John Nadas
Hungarian Club of Toledo
224 Paine Ave. Toledo, Ohio 43605
President: Andrew Rekay
Hungarian Genealogy Society of Greater Cleveland
4899 Highland Pl. Ct. Richmond Heights, Ohio
President: Mary Uray
Hungarian Scholarship Found
Non-profit educational organization
Founded in 1999.
7919 E. State Route 55, Casstown, Ohio 45312
President: Béla J. Bogná Ph.D.
Hungarian School Cleveland
1588 Alameda Ave, Lakewood, OH 44107
President: Krisztina Tabor
Magyar Club of Dayton
The Magyar Club of Dayton was founded in 1963 to encourage all Hungarian activities that promote and preserve the arts, literature, music, science and culture of Hungary.
The club meets the first Sunday of the month at 1:00 P.M. at the Old Troy Pike Community Church in the Community Room, 4475 Old Troy Pike (State Route 202) Dayton, Ohio. A lunch is served at each meeting with the club supplying the entrée and members bring a covered dish to share.
4475 Old Troy Pike, Dayton, Ohio 45424
President: Karen Vance
Sharing America's Resources Abroad
A number of years ago Rev. Stephen Szilagyi was visiting in Hungary and saw a small child who needed surgery to correct scoliosis, curvature of the spine. The procedure was not available in Hungary but was done regularly in the U.S.
Rev. Szilagyi collected enough money to bring this young boy to the United States to receive the surgery he needed to straighten his back. But other children needed this operation, too.
Rev. Szilagyi realized that what were really needed were doctors trained in the U.S. to go back to Hungary to perform many operations. So he arranged for one physician to come the U.S. to be trained and for the equipment the surgeon would need to be sent to his hospital in Hungary. This was the way SARA began.
Today, the procedure to correct scoliosis is being done regularly in Hungary, and hundreds of children stand straight and tall because of it.
141 Cummims Ave, Conneaut, Ohio 44030
President: Dr. Fleming Fallon, Jr.
Society and Order of St. László
Szent László Társaság és Rend
1640 Columbia Rd. Westlake, Ohio 44145
Hungarian members: 300-400 people
President: György Goor
Youngstown American-Hungarian Club
2219 Donald Ave. Youngstown, Ohio 44509
Hungarian members: 40 people
President: Frank Tobias
Hungarian Communion of Friends
3306 S.E. Taylor St., Portland, Oregon 97214
President: Louis J. Elteto
Non-profit retirement community
July 4, 1921
The old Park Hotel was rededicated as the Bethlen Home, an orphanage for Hungarian children who lost parents through mine disasters and other tragedies.
At the same time, the Hungarian Reformed Federation of America (HRFA) purchased surrounding farmland to provide food and revenue for the orphanage.
1930s The need for elder care was realized as the individuals tending to the orphans aged. At that time, the orphanage moved to downtown Ligonier, while the elderly remained in the original Home.
1951, 1962, 1975
Space in the original Home became limited. Thus, in 1951, the first wing of the historic Bethlen Home for the Aged was built. Newer sections were dedicated in 1962 and 1975.
The orphanage closed its doors. Over the span of nearly six decades, the orphanage provided a home for more than 3,000 children.
1980s - Present
135 Kalassay Drive, Ligonier PA 15658
- Built 20 cottages in the Bethlen Retirement Village
- Remarketed the old orphanage as the Bethlen Apartments
- Acquired Ligonier Gardens Personal Care Home
- Constructed a new Bethlen Nursing Home to replace the historic facility
- Wrapped its multiple services and lifestyles under the name Bethlen Communities
- Opened Home Health and Hospice Services
President: Rev. Louis Medgyesi
Philadelphi Hungarian Sports Club
The Club is located at 1495 Huffs Church Road, Barto, PA 19504 and was established in 1961 as a Non-Profit Organization. The organization was chartered in the state of Pennsylvania on April 18, 1963. The registered office address is 48 Walnut Street, Westville, NJ 08093-1427.
The Club provides outdoor, sporting, and entertainment facilities for the benefit of its members and their respective guests. The Club also sponsors Hungarian Scout Troopsand provide camping facilities for their use. The Club’s main purpose is to promote activities designed to preserve and further the Hungarian Heritage.
The Club is located on 121 acres of wooded area in Berks County Pennsylvania. The main clubhouse offers two spacious dining and assembly rooms, a fully equipped modern kitchen serving Hungarian Cuisine. In the summer months the Club offers large bathing area that includes an Olympic size pool, large kitchen, service buildings, washrooms, volleyball, soccer and basketball courts, and camping areas. Six motel rooms are available to members and their guests at reasonable rates.
The Club consists of shareholders and associate members, governed by 24 Board of Directors who are elected by the shareholding members annually. Membership dues, private contributions, and revenue from regularly scheduled social events cover the operating and improvement costs.
1495 Huffs Church R. Barto, PA 19504
President: László Lengyel
United German Hungarian Club
Quite a few of the immigrants landed in Philadelphia and in 1910 from the Banater Männerchor. The group grew swiftly, and was soon able to purchase a site at Eight & Columbia. This remained their home until 1923, when a property at 2007-12 North Second Street was acquired. As members of the United Worker's singing Societies of the North Eastern States, various singing groups were successful until the late 1940's.
In 1922, the Banater Athletic Club organized. Even in the early years, soccer teams made great strides. Soccer remains our major sport. Over the years, senior and youth teams won many championships at local, state regional and national competitions. Club members have been active at all levels, and the Club has played host to numerous regional and national championship finals. In 1965, the Club won the United States Amateur Soccer Association Open Club in a thrilling game held at the Club. They repeated this feat again in 1999, becoming the last open cup champions of the 20th century!
On February 4, 1973, a destructive fire ravished the clubhouse. Thanks to enthusiastic leadership from the Club's President and Board, and the dedication and long hours from a large group of members, a new clubhouse opened almost three months to the day from the disastrous fire.
Along with Soccer, dance has always been an important part of the Club's social life. Throughout the years those in charge have brought not only cultural and ethnic music and performers, but also popular entertainment to the Club.
The club is particularly proud of the accomplishments of the last 40 years.
466 E. Bristol Rd. Feasterville-Trevose PA 19053
President: William Galgon
William Penn Association
Fraternal Life Insurance and Annuities
The William Penn Association was founded on February 21, 1886 in Hazleton, Pennsylvania, by thirteen Hungarian coal miners. It was chartered by the State of Pennsylvania in December of that same year under the name “Verhovay Aid Association.” The goal of the founders was to extend a helping hand to each other and to the many Hungarian immigrants who worked and suffered in the mines and industrial centers of America at a period in its history when insurance of any sort was still in the far away future. With no sick benefits, no unemployment compensation, and no death benefits for their families, and with the immigrants being maimed and killed by the thousands in the ever-recurring industrial accidents, they had no other recourse but to turn to each other for help. This is how fraternalism was born in America, and these are the same conditions that prompted the thirteen founders to establish the Verhovay Aid Association.
709 Brighton Rd. Pittsburg, PA 15233
Chair of the Board: Barbara A. House
Csárdás Hungarian Dancers
811 East 41st Street, Austin, Texas 78751
President: Pamela Peters
Hungarian American Cultural Association of Huston
The Hungarian American Cultural Association (HACA) of Houston is a 501 (c) (3), nonprofit tax-exempt organization, incorporated in the State of Texas during the late 1950’s for cultural, educational, and charitable purposes. In doing so, the organization fosters integration, friendship and collaboration between people of Hungarian and Central/Eastern European descent in the Greater Houston Area. The organization strives to foster the Hungarian language, culture, identity and traditions to our descendants and interested individuals through programs, meetings and gatherings; propagate Hungarian culture in as many American circles as possible, thereby developing and maintaining strong ties between Americans and Hungarians; cultivate and nurture ties with Hungary and Hungarian émigrés around the world and provide moral and spiritual support for Hungarian causes.
P.O Box 35334 Huston, Texas 77235
President: De. Eva Stubbits
Hungarian Club of Dallas
3824 Basswood Lane, Plano, Texas 75074
hungarian Multicultural Center
Educational non-profit corporation
P.O. Box 14137 Texas 75214
President: Beata Szechy
Hungarian People Group Team
P.O. Box 621 Pampa, Texas 79066-0621
Hungarian American Association of Washington
The Hungarian American Association of Washington is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving Hungarian heritage and to creating better understanding and appreciation of the Hungarian culture in the community. Founded in 1984, the Association serves people of Hungarian descent and those interested in Hungarian culture with educational and social events.
P.O. Box 84425 Seattle, Washington 98124-5725
President: Szuzsa Stanfield
The Erdély Ensable
Ildikó Kalapács and Wayne Kraft founded the Erdély Ensemble in Spokane, Washington, in 1988. The Ensemble has devoted itself to the task of studying and performing dances form regions of Hungary and Transylvania (Romania) where astoundingly rich folk traditions once flourished. Due to the pressures of urbanization and 20th century life--as well as the repression of the former Romanian dictatorship--, many of these folk traditions have vanished or are near vanishing. Some of the dances we are studying have been called back into life from film documents made some decades ago.
804 W. 12th Ave. Spokane, Wasington 99204
President: Ildikó Kalapács